Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Here we go!

I wanted to start my blog with one of my favorite things to make, whole wheat bread. I know bread making scares some people, but after a little practice, whole grain goodness look out! I do grind my own wheat, and I'll tell you the reason why. Fresh ground grains have the highest nutritional content. Commercial whole wheat flour has added preservatives and can be stripped of most of the nutrients to make it shelf stable. If you don't have a grinder, or live by someone who does, buy it at the store. Just make sure to buy a good quality brand. Ok.... enough about that. I'm far from a tree hugger, but I do believe whole grain is best when possible.
Ok, a little more information before the recipe. ........Years back, red wheat was the standard for whole wheat bread. It made a dense, brick-like loaf. No thanks! Now a hybrid, hard WHITE wheat is available, and man, it is amazing. It makes a deliciously soft, melt on the roof of your mouth loaf. When you bake this bread, the smell will intoxicate you. You'll be thinner, your kids will behave better, and your husband will want to clean the bathroom. (Ok, maybe not those things, but the smell thing was spot on.) Welcome to my food planet!


Whole Wheat Bread (one loaf, can be tripled)

1 & 1/4 Cups Hot Water....approx. 11o degrees F
2 TBS canola oil
3 Cups Approx. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. Dough Enhancer
2 TBS. honey
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast
2 TBS. Gluten

In Kitchen Aid or other mixer, add water, oil, and honey. Mix 2 cups of the flour, enhancer, salt, gluten and salt. Add flour mixture to water mixture. Turn mixer on with dough hook attached. Mix, adding additional flour just until dough pulls away from the side. This may be a different amount every time you make bread, depending on the humidity etc. At this point, mix bread with the dough hook for 7-14 minutes or so, until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl, covered, until doubled. Take out of bowl, shape into loaf, and place in greased loaf pan. Allow to rise again, until doubled. Bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown. Take out of pan immediately, cool on rack.

4 comments:

  1. This post couldn't come at as better time. I really want to start making my own bread. Where do you usually buy your wheat and can the enhancer be purchased anywhere?

    So excited about your blog!

    K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this bread! Can't wait to read about more of your yummy goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kerstin. I usually buy my wheat at the cannery. I also have bought it at the Bosch store, which is where I buy my enhancer and my gluten. There is a bosch store on Redwood by Harmons and Cafe Rio. It is a fun place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you started this blog!! I'm going to try the rice pudding! Can't wait to make more of you yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! My food planet loves comments.