Friday, April 8, 2011

Becks (English Muffins)


Hmmm, why Becks you ask? It's the nickname.... For my little English Muffin.... David Beckham :-)


Ok, a thought before I begin. I LOVE English muffins, and have been on a quest for a great, doable recipe. I think this is the one. You see, the thing I love about English muffins is the light texture and little nooks and crannies that soak up the honey butter or jam. After several failures (ok a lot,) I've pronounced this one to be my favorite. However, if I do find another good one, I'll for sure share!


English Muffins (adapted from Alton Brown, Food Network)


1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBS. shortening
1 cup hot water
1 envelope dry yeast (approx 2 1/4 tsp)
1/8 tsp. sugar
1/3 cup warm water + 1 TBS
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup wheat flour, sifted
non-stick cooking spray
electric griddle
3 inch metal rings (available at any kitchen store)

Directions:


In a bowl, combine the powdered milk, 1 TBS. sugar, and salt. Melt the shortening in the hot water. When cooled down, add milk mixture to water and shortening, mix well. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the yeast and 1/8 tsp sugar in 1/3 + 1 TBS. cup warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.


Pre-heat griddle to 275 degrees.

Beat the mixture thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle, and coat lightly with spray. Using and ice cream scoop, place approx. 1 1/2 to 2 scoops into each ring, make sure rings are no more than 3/4 way filled. Cover with a pot lid. Cook 3 minutes. Remove lid and gently flip rings. Cover with the lid and cook another 3 minutes or until golden brown. Place on cooling rack, remove rings and cool. Split with fork, toast and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! My food planet loves comments.