Monday, March 21, 2011

Cake Cornbread

I love this cornbread recipe. It's great with a hearty soup, or a nice salad. It's so moist, it tastes like cake. If you have a grinder that will grind popcorn, I hightly reccomend it, it is great! I've also done this recipe with 1/2 cup white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat with great results.

Corn Bread

1/2 Cup butter
2/3 Cup sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 Cup sour milk **see note**
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Cup cornmeal
1 Cup all purpouse flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey

*For sour milk-- In glass measuring cup, pour in 1 TBS. white vinegear, add milk until it reaches one cup. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375. Melt the butter. Once melted, remove from heat and quickly whisk in the eggs, sugar, honey, milk and baking soda until there are no lumps. Mix in the cornmeal, flour and salt until most lumps are gone. Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan, bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Do not over-cook. I usually double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.

2 comments:

  1. This cornbread is really delicious....Shanae made it the last time we were there for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanae - I think I would post an "AMEN" on every one of these recipes....and I haven't even tried them! They sound delicious! You don't need pictures when you can describe the food so beautifully :)

    But after talking tonight I am determined to make those tortillas and maybe even my own pasta sauce. You are such a creative writer - I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! My food planet loves comments.